Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Friday, May 28, 2010

Cute dresses for imaginery women

I found this website called ModCloth that sells really pretty vintage-type dresses. As I've gotten older (more "grown up"?) I've put my tomboy phase more and more behind me and embraced my girly side. I like to look feminine, although it can be difficult while chasing toddlers, crawling on the floor with them, being grabbed by all matter of sticky and muddly hands....but still, I like to try. Whenever I am browsing on the computer, I like to go to their site and look at all the pretty dresses and imagine wearing them...they are a bit pricey for my budget, though, so I am generally content to "window-shop."

Well the other day my resistance finally broke down and I was all set to buy a really pretty dress that was under $50. So I started looking at their size charts. That's when I got really mad! I mean, I am not built small. Even in the best shape of my life, when I was playing basketball every day and running and lifting weights, my bones structure is large enough that I would never be accused of being "skinny." I've had 3 babies since then, so you can imagine...but still. Their sizes were ridiculous! On their largest dress, the "extra-large" bust size was a 21. Are you kidding me??? Who makes these dresses?? And who on earth thinks that this is what women - who are not supermodels - actually look like?? Stupid website...now I am just bitter. Because I could have fit their dresses....when I was 7.

But I have a plan to get around their evil sizing charts. I am going to print out my favorites:


this cute checkered dress


this gorgeous pink lacy one



this dainty lemon-yellow frock (I love the word "frock", don't you?)

and this beautiful blue dress.
I will take these pictures to the fabric store, find similar fabrics and patterns, and just make them myself. In my own size! Take that, stupid skinny girl website!!
P.S. I read a comment by a girl who bought a dress on their site, and she said she was 5'10, and weighed 132 pounds! See the kind of freakish girls they cater to on this site?? I am 5'11 and weigh *$& pounds (oh, sorry, computer glitch there). And the worst part?? she bought a medium and it didn't even fit!! I ask you: is this reasonable??
P.P.S. My apologies to any freakishly skinny girls who may be reading this. It's nothing personal. My ire is directed at the website, not you. And it's probably just jealousy on my part.



No comments:

Post a Comment