Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Thursday, May 6, 2010

choir practice (at last!)

We joined a new church back in December, and even before we joined, people in the congregation kept asking up to join the choir. We go to the "traditional" service, better known by it's unofficial name, the "old people service," so we are the youngest people there by about 30 years! But we both like the old hymns and we like the older people, so we are happy. We have been planning on and trying to go to the Wednesday night rehearsals for months now, but something always came up, or we would get sick or too tired or just forget it was Wednesday.
But last night we finally succeeded! We planned it all out, made dinner early, and actually made it to choir practice. It was really fun. It's been way too long since Robert and I have done any real singing. When we were dating, we were chorus members of Opera Southwest and we always had fun going to rehearsals and performances together, but since we got married, and especially since we had kids, we just couldn't find the time. This is the perfect compromise because reherasal is only 1 hour a week, and the choir only sings during the 2nd service, and not every week.
Everyone was very nice and welcomed us most enthusiastically. Probably because we were the youngest people there...I think it makes them happy that some young people still enjoy traditional music. I think our worship pastor (who is also the choir leader) welcomed us about 4 times. It was funny, because when he was closing in prayer, he said "and thank You for bringing Robert and...and...and...I can't remember her name..." which made me laugh. Story of my life. I told him not to worry cause God remembers my name and knew who he was talking about! (some days I think God is the ONLY person who remembers my name, but hey - He's the only one who matters, right?)

So I am excited about singing in the choir and can't wait for next week. It's nice to finally feel like we have a group we belong to. People who will notice if we're there and miss us if we're gone. Plus we are singing some great patriotic music for Armed Forces Day. I have had "Mine Eyes have seen the Glory of the Coming of the Lord" running through my mind all day.

There is only one drawback. Our choir does not wear choir robes. ;-( Whatever shall we fight about??

No comments:

Post a Comment