Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Little Black Dress

They say every woman should own a "little black dress." Well, I'm not sure how "little" it is, but I have a black dress I absolutely love.

First of all, the price. I bought it so long ago I can't remember exactly how much I paid for it, but it was in the vicinity of $12. Definitely under $15. I got it at a store called Cato (which I also love...and it is 2 minutes from my house...which my husband does not love...;-)

Secondly, the fabric. It has an under-layer of satiny material, with an over-layer of crepe, which means it doesn't wrinkle, feels good next to my skin, and is cool enough that I can wear it in summer - but if I add boots and a jacket, it becomes a great fall/winter dress! I can dress it up with fancy jewelry and shoes and wear it to almost any occasion short of black tie, but also dress it down to wear to church every week. If I get bored with pure black I can change the ribbon at the waist to add some color. Due to the empire waistline, I can wear it when I'm pregnant OR not.

This is an old picture, from when Gabriella was a baby, but you can sort of see the dress

Oh yes, and the coup de grace: it buttons down the front so I can even nurse in it!

Yep. It's pretty much the greatest dress ever.

What about you? Do you have one particular dress that you love?

1 comment:

  1. Don't you love those favorite outfits that last and last - especially when you paid very little? I bought two skirts about 9 years ago - right after Caleb was born - and paid about $12 each. A black one and a tan one that go with anything. Dress them up with heels or wear them down with sandals. They are very slimming, which is why I bought them as I needed something to get me past that "blah" feeling of not losing the last of the "baby weight". I have looked and looked for more of those skirts but no such luck. I hope you enjoy that black dress for many, many more years - you look great in it!!

    ReplyDelete