Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Eating in the rain...

There are lots of things that I am going crazy about today, but I am not going to complain about them. Instead I'm just going to talk about our lovely dinner last night! It was lovely mostly because A) I did not have to cook it ;-) and B) we ate it sitting on the front porch watching, listening to, and smelling the rain!


Growing up in New Mexico, I adore rain because of its scarcity. I don't know about you mountain people but we here in town have really been suffering for it, and I am so thankful that we got tons of it last evening! We got some roasted chicken on the way home from the eyeglasses store, sat on the porch, and had a fun little impromptu picnic.


The kids were in heaven - they love anything that is new, or involves picnics, or involves water, so it was their perfect meal! And it reminded me of my own childhood - whenever it rained, our family would go sit on the front porch and cuddle up under blankets and listen to my dad read aloud. Right now the kids are a little young to sit still very long, but someday I hope to carry on that tradition! For now we will have fun little picnics on the porch in the rain; I'll bring the food if You'll bring the rain, Lord!

1 comment:

  1. I like that tradition! What fun! It is neat to see you doing those traditions.

    I never understood what "rainy day" meant in the negative term. To me it was a celebration time!

    ReplyDelete