Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Monday, January 16, 2012

The real reason you read my blog

Let's face it. As much as we pretend that we are "keeping up with old friends" or "trying to learn new skills," there are really only three reasons we read blogs. 
1) To compare our boring, mundane lives with everyone else's super-exciting lives. For example: your co-worker's 300 pictures of her fabulous trip to Paris, all of which include her looking thin, fashionable, and, well, fabulous, despite the fact that she is eating rich French food in half of them. Or the mom from your church group who not only hand-knits intricate sweaters - probably with Bible verses knitted into each row of stitches - for her seven perfectly behaved children, but also makes extra ones for the homeless in her "spare time." (Yes, I know Mrs. Weasley knit sweaters for each of her seven children AND one for Harry each Christmas, but she got to use magic!!)  


2) To make ourselves feel better about our own lives by reading about other people's problems. I realize that you all read my blog for this reason. Don't believe me? Go check your couch. Is there peanut butter on it? If no, then you are reading my blog to make you feel better about your own life. You're welcome. (If there is peanut butter on it, welcome to the club, sister!)


3. To find recipes that completely spoil your diet. I know that's my favorite kind of blog. (yeah, PioneerWoman, you know I'm talking about you. Thanks a TON, by the way! Just reading your blog makes me gain weight. But your recipes are sooooo good.....) Every once in a while I try to throw a few of these your way, just in case the peanut butter in getting old. So here you go - my latest sinfully delicious dessert that makes you gain weight just by looking at the picture. (SHUT YOUR EYES!!)


Note - my husband doesn't even LIKE cake. He's an ice-cream man. But he scarfed down his piece in less than 30 seconds. I felt so proud. ;-)


Heavenly Chocolate Cake
(adapted from this recipe)


(Did I mention that I made this cake gluten-free? It sure didn't taste gluten free! BAM!)


3/4 c butter, softened
3 eggs, room temperature
2 c pamelas baking mix
     (OR 2 c  all purpose flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt)
3/4 c cocoa powder
2 c sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c milk


1. Let butter and eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. (Or if you want to cheat, place eggs in warm water for a few minutes and soften butter in the microwave!) Grease and flour one 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Set pan(s) aside. Preheat oven to 350.


2. In a mixing bowl, stir together the Pamela's mix with the cocoa.


3. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until well combined (3 to 4 minutes). Scrape sides of bowl; continue beating on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition (about 1 minute total). Beat in vanilla. 


4. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to beaten mixture, beating on low speed just until combined after each addition. Beat on medium to high speed for 20 seconds more. Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan.


5. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool thoroughly.


6. Now for the best part - the frosting. This cake is so rich and chocolatey that I didn't really frost it. I just whipped up some fresh cream, with a touch of sugar and vanilla. Then I cut a big square of cooled cake, plopped a big spoonful of whipped cream on top, and added a maraschino cherry for effect. Pretty! And deee-licious! 



Note - I wouldn't advise frosting the whole cake with whipped cream. The cream will soak in and make the cake soggy. Just whip up enough cream to top the amount you're serving each time. Store cake in airtight containers to keep fresh.


And finally, most importantly - try not to eat it ALL at once!!! 

3 comments:

  1. MMmmmmm....I really need to get more gluten-free mix. Can I come over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4. Your posts are always funny thing about what your kids say. & Because I love seeing what my sister is dong in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniella - of course you can come over! I will make you this cake if you come! Sophia - thanks! I'm glad you like reading it.

    ReplyDelete