Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Pineapple-glazed pork chops

I have seen a distressing trend lately of making very nice dinners only to discover my husband can't come home to enjoy them! It's very sad. But such is the life of a doctor's wife...a computer doctor, that is! ;-) In some ways that's almost worse because he is the only one "on call" 24/7! But I am very thankful that he has a job and his company is doing so well, and he is so well respected throughout the state of New Mexico! I just can't help wishing sometimes that he had a little LESS job security!

Tonight was a classic example of the good dinner/no husband conundrum. I made some extremely delicious pineapple-ginger pork chops that he didn't get to eat (but don't worry, I saved him some!). Since they turned out so well and I didn't get to share them with him, I've decided to share them with you all! Here's the recipe - which I invented, thank you very much!

Pineapple-ginger pork chops

1 Tablespoon butter
4 pork chops
1 large can pineapple rings or chunks, with juice
1/4 c brown sugar
2 teaspoons ginger (or to taste)
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
pinch of salt
*please note that I didn't measure these ingredients, I just added until it tasted good. These measurements are just my best guess, so feel free to tinker until you like it!

Heat large skillet, then melt butter. Add pork chops and brown on both sides. Drain pineapple juice into a medium bowl, then add brown sugar, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir together until combined. Place pineapple rings on top of pork chops. Pour sauce over all, then bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until pork chops are cooked through. Serve each chop with a pineapple ring on top and a spoonful of sauce drizzled over it. I served mashed potatoes and green vegetables with mine, but this would be good over rice too - it has kind of a teriyaki flavor to it.

(this recipe would probably work well with chicken too, especially if you don't care for pork)

This is not actually a picture of my dinner - I forgot to take one. It's just to get you hungry. ;-)

Hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm that looks (or rather sounds) good! I wish I'd been there! I'll definitely try it, probably with chicken because I never buy pork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!! We just picked up our pork from the butcher, and I am thrilled to have a new recipe for porkchops. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete