Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Monday, September 19, 2011

My craft attempt

Yesterday I went to a baby shower for my friend Arielei's forthcoming new baby girl! It was loads of fun, although it did make me feel really old! Arielei was in the very first drama class I ever taught, and she was a freshman that year. A few years later I went to her graduation, and then to her wedding, and now she is having a baby! It's crazy...but also exciting! She and her husband Nathan are having a little baby girl, and naming her Eliana which I think is so pretty! (A little like Elora...which I also think is pretty, obviously, because I named my own daughter that! ;-)

So on Saturday I was getting together a baby present for her, and I suddenly thought "Gee, I wish I'd thought of this earlier so I could make her something!" Oops. I always think of that way too late. But I had a few materials and decided to see what I could come up with at the last minute. Soo...I had this skirt which was too small, and I cut off the waistband elastic and sewed a new waistband to make the skirt fit better, but for some reason I saved the elastic waistband and the extra fabric. (yes, I'm a pack rat. It's indisputable and it drives my husband crazy...but he knew it when he married me!)

It came to me suddenly that this stretchy waistband, still covered in pretty fabric, would be a perfect baby headband! So I measured it using Elora's head, cut it, made a circle, and hot-glued it together to form the headband. When I cut it, I left a tiny amount of the skirt fabric attached to the waistband on one side to form a ruffle. Then I followed the instructions that Daniella had showed me, which she learned from this blog, for making a fabric rose out of the matching fabric, and then I hot glued it to the headband (burning my finger quite badly in the process. I am incapable of using a hot glue gun without burning myself). It came out pretty cute, kind of shabby-chic, although next time I think I'll try sewing it together because I suspect this one will fall apart pretty easily. But I was in a hurry and couldn't find a needle.


I couldn't get a very good picture because my camera is broken ;-( and I took this one with my phone, but you get the idea. (Don't ask me why there's a stick of butter in the background.) It was white fabric with little blue flowers and green leaves. I think I will try this again next time someone has a baby! All you need is an old skirt waistband and a little fabric!

1 comment: