Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Why Women are Indispensable


If all women suddenly vanished from the earth, the world would fall apart. Other than the obvious re population issues, men would never be able to find anything!

Women, raise your hand if you have had this conversation with your husband (or your son):

Man: "Honey, I can't find any clean socks."

Woman: "Did you look in your sock drawer?"

Man: "No." (pause) "Which one is my sock drawer?"

Woman: "Second drawer from the top." (small sigh) "Same drawer that your socks have always been kept in as long as we've been married."

(pause) Man: "I don't see any."

Woman: (larger sigh) "Hang on, I'll come look."

Now, one of 2 possibilities occurs here. Either the woman goes and looks in the drawer, and finds the socks (which are sitting in plain sight) in 3 seconds, or (and this occurs rarely, but it is a possibility) there are no clean socks in the drawer, in which case the conversation continues as follows:

Woman: "Oh, I'm sorry, honey. I haven't gotten the socks put away yet. They are in the laundry basket."

Man: "Where is the laundry basket?"

Woman: "Sitting on the bed."

Long pause. "Honey, I don't see any socks."

Woman: "I just did a load of whites yesterday. They are there, I promise."

Man: "I still don't see them."

Woman (suppressing desire to throw something): "I'll come look..." 10 seconds later, in a slightly-less-than-loving-tone: "Here are your socks!"

You can substitute almost any object for "clean socks" and still have the same result. Now, I am not trying to disrespect my husband or say men are not smart. In many many ways, my husband is much smarter than me. (technology, anyone?) But when it comes to finding things, I'm not sure why it is, but all men seem to have this inborn, inescapable inability to locate the simplest objects!

Drives us crazy? Yes. Can we do anything about it? No. I suppose we should just consider it job security! ;-)

6 comments:

  1. Haha, yup. It's true! Even my brothers do it all the time. Oh well, I guess it is good to feel needed. It does grate on the nerves, though... :D
    Love, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. I love this one, "Son, why did you just step on top of the pile of clean coats on the floor?" "What pile of coats?" "Look down." "Oh, that pile..." Goes right along with your story. We have a joke in our house; you can't get married until you can find things. We decided John was grandfathered in because he fits the case of your said husband...... the boys are doomed to live with me forever.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes but then you will be stuck finding things for them their whole lives, instead of passing them off to some poor unsuspecting young woman...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless you!!! I think I will completely give them a break because I had not considered what MY future might look like - I only felt sorry for them, but now I realize I am the one to be pitied. Besides, I need the space for grandbabies!!! I open your blog and could just sit and smile back at those three beautiful faces. Looking forward to seeing #4 on there!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to update that picture - my kids don"t look like that at all anymore, especially Gabriella! But it's so hard to get all 3 of them to sit still long enough to take a picture! Maybe when the new baby comes I can get a picture of the 4...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Listen. I had a great idea today. I decided that I need to focus more on training my sons to give great back and neck rubs. Once they have mastered that, THEN they can get married. I will need to require lots of practicing, and I might even give them extra homework to practice on their sisters just to become masters. I realize I'll be losing a great thing when they leave, but I'll still have John!!! How does that sound??

    ReplyDelete