Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Friday, April 8, 2011

Gluten Free Waffles



Our family LOVES waffles. I perfected a delicious vanilla waffle recipe, and we used to make a large batch every Saturday and freeze the extras for Sunday morning, or for a quick breakfast the rest of the week. But once we found out Jamie needed to eat gluten-free, Waffle Saturdays went out the window with all other baked goods.

But recently I got a recipe on the internet for gluten-free waffles, and decided to try them. They were so delicious! Most gluten-free things taste pretty good, but you can definitely tell they are gluten free. Not these waffles! They are great! (Robert thinks they might be a tiny bit more gritty than regular flour waffles, but I think I can fix that with a more finely-ground rice flour. Need to get some and then try again...) I think the key is the whipped egg whites folded in. It gives them a lovely, light, fluffy texture. They also freeze well, and then you can put them in the toaster for a few seconds to reheat.

In a large bowl, mix together:
1 1/2 cups brown rice flour (try finely ground)
1 cup potato starch
1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
3 T sugar*
2 T baking powder
1 tsp salt

*increase the sugar to about 1/2 c if you plan to eat them plain, without syrup, which is how our family enjoys them

Separate 4 eggs. In a medium bowl, combine the egg yolks with:
1/4 cup oil (I use coconut oil)
2 cups milk
3 tsp vanilla

Beat liquid mixture and add to dry mixture. In another bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold gently into the waffle batter. Pour approximately 1/3 cup (depending on the size) into your heated waffle maker. Enjoy!

I have never made them this way, but after seeing this picture I desperately want a heart-shaped waffle maker now! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm now I want waffles with whipped cream and fruit on top. Those sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. buy me a heart shaped waffle maker and I will make them for you when you come home...;-)

    ReplyDelete