Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Friday, February 18, 2011

The proof is in the chocolate pudding...

I love how early little kids learn the concept "deny everything no matter what the evidence says." (maybe they have been watching too many of those crime tv dramas?) Almost as soon as they can talk, they try to convince you that they did NOT get into something even when the evidence is staring them right in the face...or rather, when the evidence is all over their face!

I have had this conversation many, many times:

Mama: "Joseph (or James, or Gabriella), did you get in the cherries/chocolate/fill in the blank?
Joseph (looking you straight in the eye): No.
Mama: Then why do you have cherry juice/chocolate pudding/etc on your face?

At this point, the child takes refuge in one of 2 denial situations:

A) the ignorance option
He puts on an innocent face, responds "I don't know," and frantically starts trying to lick the damning substance off his mouth.

B) the "pass the buck" option
He puts on an injured expression and tries to place the blame on one of his siblings. "Well JAMERS got into the cherries..."
"and then he what, stuffed them into your mouth? against your will?"
Sideways glance. "um...yes."

Remember, when all else fails, continue to deny everything!
Seriously, one of these days I swear my kids are going to demand a lawyer before they'll answer any questions.

4 comments:

  1. Hehehe....Now I want some chocolate pudding. And cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! So true! I just love the picture that goes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed until I had tears in my eyes. This is when I have found it hard to parent - how do you look at that face and not just crack up laughing!! So glad to see you enjoy the humor in it all as well. It's times like those that it just isn't worth taking yourself too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I not know you had a blog?? I'm loving it! And I really love this post. Oh my goodness, do children know how to pass the buck!! Now I'm off to keep reading more. :)

    ReplyDelete