Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Move over, Mr. Darcy

I have been reading a fictionalized account of Jane Austen's life, and it's made me think about all the heroes she's created. The book kind of obsesses over Mr. Darcy, and how Jane has to invent the "perfect man" because she never finds him in real life. I can't help but wonder why everyone fixates on Mr. Darcy as "Mr. Right." Fanfiction about Jane Austen and P&P is very "in" right now (and most of it is TERRIBLE, I might add) and I just don't understand why it only covers Mr. D. Not that I am trying to disparage him. I just think her other heroes deserve some credit.


Sure, Mr. Darcy is tall, dark, and handsome...and incredibly broody. I don't know if that's actually a word, but it's the only one that accurately describes him. In the BBC version (which really is the only version worth watching) he spends the entire movie staring out the window. Even after we - and Lizzy - decide we like him, he is still so serious and melancholy. He doesn't even smile until the very end of the movie. And while this makes for an oh-so-romantic movie, I can't imagine it would be very fun to live with in real life!


Mr. Darcy in his favorite pose - staring out the window


Now, this could be a personal prejudice. He is an extremely honorable, estimable man, quite generous, with an impeccable character...but I think life with him would be downright boring! Does the man have a sense of humor? There is no evidence to support that idea! And while it would be nice to be mistress of a gorgeous house like Pemberly, with packs of servants at your beck and call, with nothing to do but dress up in gorgeous gowns and attend balls every day, I think it would get old. It's nothing like real life. I can't helping feeling there is something lacking in a man who doesn't do anything! Can you picture Mr. Darcy saddling his own horse? Helping his wife in the garden? Or playing with his children? He seems too dignified for that!


Robert doing his best "broody" face


I am thankful that my own husband does not resemble Mr. Darcy, at least in personality. He is tall, dark, and handsome, and he has an impeccable character, but there the resemblance ends. "Broody" is the last word anyone would use to describe him. In fact, one of the reasons I fell in love with him in the first place is that he was always smiling. He loves to tease and crack jokes, and our house is always filled with laughter thanks to him. He works very hard to take care of his family. And while, sadly, we do not live on an estate like Pemberly or have oodles of servants at our beck and call, my husband isn't too "dignified" to help his wife with the dishes. Or to play silly games with his children that make them giggle. My husband is unfailingly cheerful even when things are tough. He refuses to brood or worry over things out of his control. And all of these things are what make him perfect for me.

So I say, move over, Mr. Darcy. I'd rather have a cheerful hero than a brooding one any day!



Plus, there is only room for one brooder in our family...and I've got that covered. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. You said it perfectly. In my younger days, I coached volleyball, and I remember the girls talking about this guy and that guy. I asked them if those guys made them laugh. They thought I was strange at the time (I was), but years later one of them invited me to her wedding and in the invitation she wrote "He makes me laugh". You summed it up beautifully - laughter is much better to marry than broody!!

    ReplyDelete