Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

daydreaming of living at Norland Park

Guess what? Still sick today. Yes, that's right..yesterday I thought I was getting well, and felt better than I had in a week, so I decided to clean up my house. Unfortunately you cannot undo an entire week's worth of unsupervised toddler disaster in 1 day. I did make some progress, and I decided to reward myself by going to the grocery store with my mom (so my definition of reward has changed a lot since having kds, okay?), which meant I ended up totally overdoing it and had a major relapse today. Add the fact the Joseph got sick last night and I got not sleep.

So today it's back to square one, and I am watching Sense and Sensibility on my laptop on the couch. It's the new one - at least, new to me, not the one with Hugh Grant and Emma Thompson and the guy who plays Snape in Harry Potter (which always cracks me up). And I just have to gush about the set because it is all so gorgeous! I want to live at Norland Park....no wonder the Dashwood women are so upset about leaving it!!

Two things in particular that I want: first of all this room.



Yes I know...I want the whole room. Does that seem a little greedy? Ok, fine, I will settle for just the floor. I love black and white checkerboard floors. They are so elegant. I pretty much love black and white everything. I keep trying to convince Robert to let me re-do our bathrooms in black and white, with just a hint of accent color like red. So far no luck. It is an ongoing argument.


Second, I want these chairs. You can't see very well in the picture (I had to make screenshots straight out of the movie) but they are black, look like Queen Anne style or something similar, and are painted over with gold leaf patterns. So pretty!
You have to look just past Marianne's right shoulder and you can sort of see...


These chairs, unlike the room in the other picture, might possibly be achievable. You could get some old - or new - Queen Anne chairs, paint them black and wipe most of it off so you get that artique look. Then get someone artistically talented (unlike me) to paint on the gold leaf designs. Or maybe even stencil them. Daniella - we should explore this. That would be an awesome thing to do with garage sale chairs.
Ok that's all for now. More pictures as I fall in love. Of course this is all theoretical because I haven't felt well enough to even clean up my own house, much less decorate it. So Daniella, go ahead and steal my ideas, cause you always seem to have time and energy to decorate. I will live vicariously through your house.

3 comments:

  1. Ah I love that house too! SO gorgeous! Black and white floors are seriously the best! I sometimes feel like you have to have a really grand scale in order to pull them off, though. Which is sad, since our houses are not very grand in scale.
    I think we could totally do the chair thing though! Great idea! I'll bet we could stencil the gold leaf. All we need is the perfect craiglisting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets pool all our money and buy a really grand house, and then refinish it in Jane Austen style! With black and white floors and gold leafed chairs and that green room from Lady Catherine's house in P&P. We can each have our own wing and share a drawing room. (just typing "drawing room" makes me feel elegant.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!!!!!!! Drawing room drawing room drawing room. That green room! Why didn't I add THAT to my green post! Its my favorite!

    ReplyDelete