Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Thursday, February 23, 2012

It's the little things

Today, I've been taking things a little slow, not because I should (I shouldn't) but just because I can. It was kind of an interrupted night, sleep wise, so I'm taking a more relaxed approach to life. There are definitely advantages to not having to get up and go off to work or take my kids to school!

 I realized from reading my last several posts that one could gain the impression that all I do is complain. Or that my life is terrible. And neither of those things are true. So I want to talk about all the little things that make my life wonderful.

In no particular order:

- every night, without fail, when I go in to check on the kids, Gabriella has deserted her bed and snuggled up with James in his. They are kind of like a pair of puppies - sleeping all piled together in a heap. Last night they were side by side with their noses touching. So cute!

- delicious lemon bars that I made. And ate. With coffee. ;-)

- reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe out loud to Joseph for the first time. The Narnia books were my absolute favorite childhood books and are still one of my all-time lifelong favorites, so getting to read them to Joseph is very special! He is loving them - I finally had to take a coffee break to let my voice recover because it was so hoarse after 5 straight chapters! We probably won't finish before we go watch the play tomorrow but at least he will understand what's going on.

- finally getting outside and working on the yard in the fresh air and sunshine yesterday! The weather was almost summer-like! Amazing how good that feels. Theoretically I'm going to have a garden this year.

- Joseph asking to read the Bible again, after we finish Bible time. He said "Please can we read the Bible again because I love reading the Bible! It's God's book to us." Is there anything better a mama can hear? I think not!

- my Elora walking around jabbering and basically being Elorable. It's impossible to look at her smile and not smile back. Im-possible. I defy you to try it.

- my dear husband being extremely supportive during a very stressful week, and coming home early yesterday to spend time with me

These are just of few of the many blessings I have in my life. I am so thankful for every day I get to spend at home with my family, especially for lazy days like today. While so many little annoying things often drive me crazy, it's also the wonderful little things that fill my life with joy!

2 comments:

  1. For the record - I don't think your posts are complaining ones. I find it easy to hear your heart in between the lines as you share your frustrations, that quite frankly, almost every Momma I know has experienced (if they haven't I question their veracity...). I love reading all your posts because it reminds me of what life used to be like and how quickly that faded and became the life I have now. In doing that, though, it helps me better able to minister to the young Mommas that GOD has placed in my life. Your posts keep my memories fresh so that I don't become one of those older women who just "phewy" the young Mommas when they pour out their hearts.

    All that said, though, I also love hearing all your wonderful moments as well. We moved some file cabinets at the CareNet Center yesterday, and I couldn't help but hope there would be an angel food cake hidden away. It just made me smile, so thank you for writing and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I love your word "Elorable"!

    Very nice post. It is a good idea to post the things you love every once in a while. It is easy to lose focus of the good things in life- the joys.

    I never thought of your blog as a place you complained. Rather a place of the realities of life. I really appreciated that. :)

    Ohhh! Have fun watching Narnia!

    ReplyDelete