Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Friday, March 4, 2011

Defeating Dinnertime

I am not usually very good about planning meals in advance. I try to, I really do, but something inevitably goes wrong. The meat I got out 3 hours ago didn’t defrost sufficiently, or I start cooking only to discover that I’m missing half the ingredients for my recipe…and we end up having peanut butter and jelly for dinner again. But today I feel ridiculously proud of myself. Why, you ask? Because it is 3:30 pm and I already have dinner made – lasagna with gluten free-noodles. It is sitting in the refrigerator just waiting to be cooked right before dinnertime. I will throw together a salad and maybe some garlic toast, and we will have a lovely meal without me having to deal with the horrors of cooking during the “witching hour,” as we always call that 5-6 pm time when everybody’s cranky and I’m trying to get dinner ready.

And if that isn’t enough, I made double the amount of meat sauce for my lasagna. Which I will put in the fridge until tomorrow, when I’ll add peppers, chili powder, and kidney beans, and presto! It will be chili that I can throw in the crock pot for dinner tomorrow night. That’s right – I am now 2 dinners ahead. Which means I don’t have to start panicking about dinner until Sunday now! I really should make this a habit!

We’ll mercifully draw a veil over the state of my kitchen right now…maybe I’ll get to that once I’ve sat down for a few minutes. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment