Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Thursday, July 15, 2010

...good boy..now shake!

Have you ever been bothered by the whole "awkard hug" thing? You know, where there's this feeling of obligation that you hug the other person (especially if you don't know them well) because everyone else is doing it, but you don't really feel comfortable about it? But rather than hurt their feelings, you give them the really awkward side-hug while trying to analyze if it's "friendly enough" without being too friendly... and how long should it be? Do you count in your head? (probably not out loud...;-) Who moved forward first? Who lets go first? It's all just quite awkward, and as I am not really much of a "touchy" person except for my close family and friends, I feel uncomfortable about the whole process. It's not so bad with other girls but trying to figure out how to properly hug boys or men just makes it worse. It's like being back in high school - ack!

So I've decided in favor of bringing back the good old-fashioned handshake. Last night a young man Robert used to disciple was back in town and came over for dinner, and he gave me a nice firm handshake, not like the "dead fish" handshake that says "if I squeeze your hand I will get germs from you" but not the bone crushing "I am man and will prove my strength by breaking your fingers" handshake either. Just a nice firm handshake that says "hello, good to see you." Simple as that.

Gentlemen, please! A good handshake goes a long way and removes all the awkwardness! From now I will attempt to offer my hand first, along with a smile, and see if I can convey a pleasant and appropriate gesture of welcome without having to analyze everything!

But maybe it's just me. Maybe guys don't like shaking girls' hands, or will be insulted if girls don't hug them. Or do girls want guys to hug them? Would you rather be hugged or offered a handshake by a member of the opposite sex ?

1 comment:

  1. I like this! I think it would make all parties feel comfortable. Did you know these interesting facts from hands history? It was a woman's prerogative to hold out her hand to any given man, or to withhold it. Also, true gentlemen didn't actually touch their lips to the woman's hand; they just "kissed the air above it."

    ReplyDelete