Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Joseph, Gabriella, Julianna, James, and Elora

Thursday, April 4, 2013

{don't be a} Pushover

I have always been the type of person who avoids confrontation. Most oldest children are "Type A" personalities, and, while I may fit the "bossy older sister" profile in some categories, I am not a very confrontational person. When I get upset, I tend to internalize things and just "stew" over them without telling the person how I feel. And I think the older I get, the more hesitant I've become about sharing my true feelings with other people. There is a very small number of friends and family members I feel comfortable telling "what's what," but for the general population, I am a pushover. I have a terribly hard time saying no to people when they ask for favors, or telling them if their behavior is upsetting me. I like to be liked and I dislike having people angry at me. I tend to be overly apologetic, even if something wasn't my fault. But underneath the placid-seeming surface, it rankles.

I remember one time when I was a child, I was forced to apologize for something I did not do. It was my weekly piano lesson, and this week there was someplace important we had to be right after piano, so Mom impressed upon me "the moment your lesson is over, get your book and come straight out to the car - do not stop to talk to anyone or do anything else!" So, as soon as my lesson ended, I obediently grabbed my book and headed toward the door. As I was running out, the boy whose lesson followed mine was coming in the door. We were friends, so I said "Hi! And Bye!" in the same breath as I ran out the door - my attempt at being polite rather than just ignoring him. Unfortunately for me, his mom was with him, and she decided somehow to take offense at my terse greeting. She collared me, marched me out to the car where mom was waiting, and told the whole story of my supposed rudeness. (Please remember that this story is from my 8 year old point of view). I tried to explain that I just been trying to obey Mom, but in the end, my mom made me apologize to her for what she perceived as me being rude. Probably Mom made me say "I'm sorry if I offended you" or some such thing, but in my childish mind, I was being forced to apologize for obeying my mom and trying be polite. Twenty some odd years later, the memory still rankles. Pathetic, yes. Pathological inability to let things go - absolutely. Did it probably make up for all the things I got away with unpunished? Definitely. But still...the injustice of it all! Somehow the way I felt as an 8 year old, when I was forced to apologize simply because she was an adult, mirrors the same helpless feeling I have today when I am unable to tell people how upset or angry or hurt I really am.


Some unfortunate circumstances that happened to me this week have brought that feeling to the forefront. I let certain people impose on me in ways that made me uncomfortable, and later on, I became quite angry about it. But I didn't tell them how I felt, and I probably won't. Partly because we are not close enough to have that kind of honest relationship, and partly because I am just a plain old coward about confrontation. My husband is quite the opposite. He never backs down from telling people what he thinks - except maybe certain clients who would fire him if he told them just how annoying they are. And granted, this level of honesty means he sometimes offends people and sometimes puts his foot in his mouth. But nobody could ever accuse him of being a coward.

It got me wondering about which response is right. "Turn the other cheek?" "Speak the truth in love?" "Don't cast your pearls before swine?" Jesus always spoke the truth in love. But he also remained silent when he was interrogated and it served no purpose for him to argue with someone He knew wouldn't listen anyway.

I guess I need to find a way to speak honestly, loving to the people in my life. But also, to bear with them and forgive them, not holding a grudge, even if nothing changes.

What about you? Are you pushy? Or a pushover? Which personality type do you think is best?  

4 comments:

  1. Oh ouch. I am right there with you!!! I HATE confrontation- and there is plenty of it in this world! I struggle with feeling like a doormat because I never tend to never tell anyone my feelings and so thus they can get walked upon. :/

    A book that really helped open my eyes to how I was responding and how others took it was "Understanding How Others Misunderstand You". (yeah, funny name!) It goes through the DISC profiles. I am sure you have heard of them at some point- it is pretty comman. Yet this book goes further into saying that you could be a "D" (driver), or you could be a "D & an I" (influencer) at the same time! How you can have several factors which is why it is so confusing to understand others or make yourself understood.
    What I love the most is that they authors tie it back to the Bible- did you ever wonder why Jesus yelled at some people, yet spoke softly to others? Because He was speaking to them in their "personality". Which the book tries to help you understand how to do- talk to them the way each and ever person out there likes to be spoken to. Softly or loudly, around the bush or directly, etc.

    I HIGHLY recommend this book! It has really helped me understand everyone around me, why people are the way there are and that there is nothing wrong with it and how I can then relate to them.

    Can you tell I like the book? Maybe because it finally freed me to be more comfortable with who I am. And showing me how to be more effective in my communication with others. :D Because I am right there with you, I would much rather have an elephant in my room than talk about it!!! Yet sometimes that is harmful and so there are times that you need to "speak", but other times when it wouldn't be appropriate.... too confusing!

    Thanks for this post. It is so nice to hear of others out there that struggle with speaking or not- I have been dealing with it lately and it is hard!!!! So thank you for sharing... :) (and I love the little humor of the picture!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I laughed as I read this post and kept thinking, "that is so much like Rebecca." Then, I come on here and see that she's already posted a response!!

    I agree with Rebecca on the book - it is awesome. I remember the first time I discovered my personality on the DISC, and I was ANGRY. I did NOT want to be a "D". I wanted to be something else. The hardest thing is realizing what your personality is and knowing that it is good/bad all at the same time. You were honest in sharing your desire to not have to confront (I suspect you're an "S"), so that's a great first step. Now, learning how to use the strengths of your personality and how GOD made you but also growing the weaknesses is the challenge.

    I will tell you that I seem to have a bit of a "split personality" on this one. There are some situations/people that I just can't seem to keep my mouth shut and LOVE to confront. Then, there are others that I will let them walk all over me rather than confront them. Aarrrgghh!! So, I vacillate from foot in mouth to shoe in hand just wishing I had the courage to throw it (OK. Maybe throwing it isn't exactly the nicest thing to do...).

    The one thing I do know, is that GOD gave us these personalities to use for HIS Glory! It's up to us to figure out how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading "Your God is Too Safe." The author has some great things to say about how Jesus answered people; Rebecca alluded to this. Basically, he never reacted out of self-interest. When it would've been really beneficial to Him to defend Himself, He opened not His mouth. But, when the Spirit led Him to say words which would be perceived as blasphemy and would eventually get him killed, He went right ahead & said them. What I got out of this is: my first reaction of annoyance, hurt, anger is not going to be the right one! The old "count to ten" mingled with "Lord, take my pride!!!" This really hits where I live. It's horribly hard to be lovingly honest. The classic definition of stress for me is when my brain screams, "NOOOOOO!" and my mouth says, "I'd love to!" (This is Mom, NOT Lydia.)

    ReplyDelete